[jcifs] We seem to have found a home in Android Apps.

Sebastian Sickelmann sebastian.sickelmann at gmx.de
Mon Jan 2 06:18:42 MST 2012

Am 01.01.2012 22:54, schrieb Christopher R. Hertel:
> jCIFS is a project I started many years ago, probably in 1998, but I'm not
> sure.  I had only a basic understanding of Java and a vague idea that an
> SMB/CIFS toolkit for Java would be useful.  I wrote some awful Java code and
> put it up on the web for public ridicule until someone (Mike) came along and
> said "I can do better".
>
> My thanks to Mike for taking over and making the project come to life.  My
> role has become quite small in comparison.  Thanks also to Eric for building
> Davenport on top of jCIFS, and for the NTLMSSP documentation that is such an
> important reference in the SMB/CIFS community that Microsoft had to write a
> translation cheat-sheet to explain the terms in they use in their documentation.
>
> Thanks to everyone who uses jCIFS, particularly those who have submitted
> patches and ideas.  We have seen jCIFS used in mainframes to cellphones and
> everything in between.
>
> Speaking of cellphones...
> I know of two very popular file browser apps for Android that use jCIFS as
> their underlying SMB/CIFS implementation.  As far as I can tell, however,
> there is no acknowledgement of jCIFS in these apps, and no pointer to the
> jCIFS source.  I would like to see jCIFS acknowledged and the links
> provided, per the license.  The LGPL was specifically chosen to make it easy
> to use jCIFS with closed-source applications, so there is no reason not to
> meet the terms.
>
> jCIFS is a perfect fit for Android, so I expect that there are several apps
> that use it.  It would be nice to get some participation from Android
> developers.  In particular, I would like to see jCIFS expanded to include
> SMB2 support.  Windows XP is the last supported Windows OS that does not
> include SMB2 capabilities, so I think it's time.
>
> Chris -)-----

Hi Chris,

i love to see that you think some contributors to jcifs would be great.
But it is not that easy to participate to jcifs as for many other
open-source projects.

Some examples:
I asked for how to contribute[1] to jcifs and how to link my work
back[2] in terms of LGPL.
I think it will be possible to create a public repository at [3] so that
interested parties can
fork the jcifs-repos and provide public browsable repositories with the
patches they want
to contribute. The lead-committer of jcifs can choose to pull in all
these changes or also
just a few of them to the main repository.

I just found that unfortunatly the link to the mailinglist is broken:
be [4]

I would love to contribute(test,review and submit code) to SMBv2 support
and an optional jdk7-filesystem-provider.
--
Sebastian

[1] https://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2011-July/009657.html
[2] https://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2011-July/009664.html