[jcifs] We seem to have found a home in Android Apps.

Jim Hurne hurne at vivisimo.com
Tue Jan 3 06:00:04 MST 2012

On 01/02/2012 08:18 AM, Sebastian Sickelmann wrote:
> i love to see that you think some contributors to jcifs would be great.
> But it is not that easy to participate to jcifs as for many other
> open-source projects.

I agree with Sebastian. In particular, the lack of a true version
control system is holding the JCIFS project back.

I'm sure Mike would agree he cannot do everything. In fact, based on
some of his responses to questions posted to the mailing list over the
past year, it's increasingly clear Mike has less time to devote to JCIFS
than he had in the past. This is perfectly reasonable. After all, it is
a lot to ask one person to maintain a critical library like JCIFS.
Hosting the JCIFS source code in a public version control system like
git would definitely make it easier for others to pitch in and help out.

Beyond version control, JCIFS could really use a true issue management
system. Such a system would: (a) make it easier to track and prioritize
reported issues, and (b) reduce the number of redundant posts on the
mailing list because people tend to look at the issue management system
first.  In terms of priority, the need for a true version control system
is much higher than the need for an issue management system, so I'd
suggest looking into git and samba.org git hosting first.

Jim++