[jcifs] We seem to have found a home in Android Apps.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Sun Jan 1 14:54:30 MST 2012

jCIFS is a project I started many years ago, probably in 1998, but I'm not
sure.  I had only a basic understanding of Java and a vague idea that an
SMB/CIFS toolkit for Java would be useful.  I wrote some awful Java code and
put it up on the web for public ridicule until someone (Mike) came along and
said "I can do better".

My thanks to Mike for taking over and making the project come to life.  My
role has become quite small in comparison.  Thanks also to Eric for building
Davenport on top of jCIFS, and for the NTLMSSP documentation that is such an
important reference in the SMB/CIFS community that Microsoft had to write a
translation cheat-sheet to explain the terms in they use in their documentation.

Thanks to everyone who uses jCIFS, particularly those who have submitted
patches and ideas.  We have seen jCIFS used in mainframes to cellphones and
everything in between.

Speaking of cellphones...
I know of two very popular file browser apps for Android that use jCIFS as
their underlying SMB/CIFS implementation.  As far as I can tell, however,
there is no acknowledgement of jCIFS in these apps, and no pointer to the
jCIFS source.  I would like to see jCIFS acknowledged and the links
provided, per the license.  The LGPL was specifically chosen to make it easy
to use jCIFS with closed-source applications, so there is no reason not to
meet the terms.

jCIFS is a perfect fit for Android, so I expect that there are several apps
that use it.  It would be nice to get some participation from Android
developers.  In particular, I would like to see jCIFS expanded to include
SMB2 support.  Windows XP is the last supported Windows OS that does not
include SMB2 capabilities, so I think it's time.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org