Q: Ideal print setup on Solaris (2.6)

Frans Stekelenburg f.stekelenburg at acriter.com
Tue Aug 3 16:01:00 GMT 1999

Hello there,

We want to improve the way we initially setup printing on a farm of
about 20 Solaris 2.6 servers, in a way that all the possibillities of
printing are well impelmented and usable.  Right now users can't delete
jobs when they are queued onto the (Samba)server and (of course, because
it's configured now like that- see example) every printer's job list
appears in the same queue.

I therefore would appreaciate it if I could see some examples of how
others (pref. on Solaris) have set up the smb.conf to have a very tight
cooperation with the printing facility of the OS. I mean, like the
'lpq/lpresume/lppause/lprm/print command' options.  Any lp commands than
can be tuned?

And what about 'lpq cache time', sensible to increase its value?

Also if there are some more Solaris 'heads ups', I would be more than
greatful to learn them.

We currently run Samba version 1.9.18p10. We have (and still run this
because of ) it 'hacked' with LDAP support (uid,gid,home).

Right now these printer specific values are specified:

[global]
 printcap name = /etc/printers.conf

;
;  Printers
;
[printers]
  path = /var/spool/smbprint
  writeable = no
  public = yes
  printable = yes

Kind regards,
Frans Stekelenburg

Just to be complete, this currently looks like the complete SMB.CONF
(please don't laugh:-)

; GLOBAL Section
;
[global]
  workgroup = XYZ
  security = user
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes
  log file = /var/adm/samba.log
  printcap name = /etc/printers.conf
  ldap host = 10.1.4.10
  ldap port = 389
  ldap bind dn = uid=admin,o=xyz.com
  ldap bind secret = secret
  ldap search base = o=xyz.com

;  dead time = 5

;
;  Printers
;
[printers]
  path = /var/spool/smbprint
  writeable = no
  public = yes
  printable = yes

;
;  Home directories, only read/writeable by owner.
;
[homes]
  guest ok = no
  read only = no
  create mask = 0700
  directory mask = 0700

;
;  Department directory, read only.
;
[department]
  path = /var/fileserv/department/%g
  public = no
  read only = yes

;
;  Department directory, read/writable by group members
;
[departmentshare]
  path = /var/fileserv/department/%g
  public = no
  read only = no
  create mask = 0770
  force create mode = 0660
  directory mask = 0770
  force directory mode = 0770
  force group = %g

;
;  Server-wide software directory, read only.
;
[bin]
  path = /var/fileserv/bin
  public = no
  read only = yes

;
;  Server-wide shareable files directory.
;
;  NOTE: LOCKING DISABLED FOR APPLICATION-X!!!
;
[servershare]
  path = /var/fileserv/servershare
  public = no
  locking = no
  read only = no
  create mask = 0777
  force create mode = 0666
  directory mask = 0777
  force directory mode = 0777

ole locking compatibility = no
fake oplocks = yes
blocking locks = False
share modes = no

;
;  Server-wide scratch area, files are removed after 10 days, no
;  backups.
;
[tmp]
  comment = Common scratch area