Looking to once again re-bundle LDB

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 2 08:21:17 UTC 2024

On Thu, 2024-02-01 at 15:22 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 04:47:56 CET Andrew Bartlett via samba-
> technical wrote:
> > Just a heads up that I'm still keen to reduce the burden of an
> > LDBrelease at Samba security release time.
> > The rough consensus at the end of
> > https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/374 seems to
> > be tomake ldb: - for public consumers behave like any other Samba
> > public library (eglibwbclient), by removing the independent tarball
> > and build system.
>
> If it is done that way I'm fine with moving it back to Samba and do
> release it with Samba releases.

Thanks so much.  As I mention below another of my MRs makes more sense
with this done, so I'll get this done soon.
> >  - for Samba builds by default, to install ldb as a private
> > library.
> > The version numbers would remain, but could then diverge between
> > ldband pyldb-util for example (they would no longer be the tarball
> > number,so would move just like other SO numbers do).
> > We would change the ldb modules dir to have the version string in
> > it,so that modules are not installed for the wrong version.
>
> Sounds good.
> > My current motivation comes from working on a pyldb change that
> > wouldchange pyldb-util, but also a long-running desire to make this
> > simpler.
> > Debian currently has this patch:
> > https://sources.debian.org/src/samba/2%3A4.19.3%2Bdfsg-1/debian/patches/Forc
> > e-LDB-as-standalone.patch/
> > This makes Samba public libldb as a public library, but from the
> > mainSamba build, so that the ldb build system is no longer used.
>
> Fine by me.

Thank you so much for your flexibility and understanding.

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company
Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions