Looking to once again re-bundle LDB

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu Feb 1 14:22:41 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 04:47:56 CET Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> Just a heads up that I'm still keen to reduce the burden of an LDB
> release at Samba security release time.
>
> The rough consensus at the end of
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/374 seems to be to
> make ldb:
>  - for public consumers behave like any other Samba public library (eg
> libwbclient), by removing the independent tarball and build system.

If it is done that way I'm fine with moving it back to Samba and do release it
with Samba releases.

>  - for Samba builds by default, to install ldb as a private library.
>
> The version numbers would remain, but could then diverge between ldb
> and pyldb-util for example (they would no longer be the tarball number,
> so would move just like other SO numbers do).
>
> We would change the ldb modules dir to have the version string in it,
> so that modules are not installed for the wrong version.

Sounds good.

> My current motivation comes from working on a pyldb change that would
> change pyldb-util, but also a long-running desire to make this simpler.
>
> Debian currently has this patch:
> https://sources.debian.org/src/samba/2%3A4.19.3%2Bdfsg-1/debian/patches/Forc
> e-LDB-as-standalone.patch/
>
> This makes Samba public libldb as a public library, but from the main
> Samba build, so that the ldb build system is no longer used.

Fine by me.

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D