Looking to once again re-bundle LDB

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 14 00:45:49 UTC 2024

On Thu, 2024-02-01 at 15:22 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 04:47:56 CET Andrew Bartlett via samba-
> technical
> wrote:
> > Just a heads up that I'm still keen to reduce the burden of an LDB
> > release at Samba security release time.
> >
> > The rough consensus at the end of
> > https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/374
> >  seems to be to
> > make ldb:
> >  - for public consumers behave like any other Samba public library
> > (eg
> > libwbclient), by removing the independent tarball and build system.
>
> If it is done that way I'm fine with moving it back to Samba and do
> release it
> with Samba releases.
>
> >  - for Samba builds by default, to install ldb as a private
> > library.
> >
> > The version numbers would remain, but could then diverge between
> > ldb
> > and pyldb-util for example (they would no longer be the tarball
> > number,
> > so would move just like other SO numbers do).
> >
> > We would change the ldb modules dir to have the version string in
> > it,
> > so that modules are not installed for the wrong version.
>
> Sounds good.

I've chickened out of this small aspect.

It would mean a repackage of sssd for every single Samba version (well,
LDB version, but they change pretty often), and that would make Samba
security releases more painful, not less.

(sssd is often built with an option to not check it is running against
the correct LDB version as we don't break the ABI often).

I'll make it possible, you can set the ldb modules path to whatever
string is desired, but I won't make it the default (partly as getting
the LDB version string into dynconfig turned out to be harder than I
would have liked)

What do you think?

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions