New option for samba-tool dns zonecreate

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jun 15 22:06:17 UTC 2023

hi Björn,

I appreciate the thought you are putting into this, as UI decisions are
hard to change.

> The DNS GUI in Windows 11 lets the user choose the "Active Directory
> Zone Replication Scope" with the options "To all DNS server running on
> domain controller in this forest" or "... domain".
>
> In the code there are two flags DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT and
> DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT. So maybe something like
> --dns-direcory-partition=domain|forest?

I think that is probably OK. Another option might be
--dns-replication-scope, which might describe the effect more. It all
depends on how AD administrators think, something which I have little
insight into.

In any case, in https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/3129
you have the --help text as 'DNS Directory Partition', which does not
add much information to --dns-directory-partition. Whichever formulation
is used, the help should use other words.

cheers,
Douglas