New option for samba-tool dns zonecreate

Björn Baumbach bb at sernet.de
Fri Jun 16 20:33:14 UTC 2023

Hi Douglas,

On 6/16/23 00:06, Douglas Bagnall wrote:
>> In the code there are two flags DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT and
>> DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT. So maybe something like
>> --dns-direcory-partition=domain|forest?
>
> I think that is probably OK. Another option might be
> --dns-replication-scope, which might describe the effect more. It all
> depends on how AD administrators think, something which I have little
> insight into.

yes, I considered something like "replication scope", too. "how AD
administrators think" made me to ask for this on the mailing list - so
thank you for your answer! Next time I'll try the Samba mailing list,
maybe I reach more admins there.
> In any case, in https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/3129
> you have the --help text as 'DNS Directory Partition', which does not
> add much information to --dns-directory-partition. Whichever formulation
> is used, the help should use other words.

I completely agree and fixed that.

Best regards,
Björn

--
SerNet GmbH - Bahnhofsallee 1b - 37081 Goettingen
phone: +49.551.370000.0 - web: https://sernet.com
http://www.sernet.com - mailto:contact at sernet.com
AG Goettingen HRB2816, CEO: J.Loxen, CFO: R. Jung
data privacy policy https://www.sernet.de/privacy