usershare acl parser?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Dec 11 08:25:05 GMT 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 09:26:07AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Not being the one who does the code it is easy to make irrelevant comments...
> But more than only having a subset available I see the "standard format"
> argument. This could for example be extended to have a text-mode unix tool for
> share_info.tdb and the printer secdescs, a thing that is really missing now
> from my point of view.

The printer secdescs are different again. NT ACLs are a complete overdesign,
look at the mangling we have to do programatically to make sense of this
stuff. Exposing this to a commandline is insane. Windows does it with a
GUI that limits what a user can do. The problem with using the complete
format on a command line is people setting ridiculously complex acls
which are essentially meaningless in the context they're being applied
to. A simplified format enforces meaning on what is being set.

Jeremy.