PCI wireless cards

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun May 4 23:20:34 EST 2003

On Sunday 04 May 2003 12:35, Philip Heron wrote:

> Soo, I'm about to give up on this idea. I can't find any source for ISA
> adapters in my area and I'm wondering if the PCI wireless cards have
> similar IRQ problems under Linux? Anyone had any experience with this?

I'm not sure what your question is, precisely.
But I have an Avaya/Lucent/Orinoco PCI-to-PCMCIA adaptor
with an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card in it,
and it works almost perfectly for me under Linux (RedHat-8.0).

(I say "almost perfectly" because every few days it gets into
a "non-communicative" state.
If it is in this state, when I close down prior to re-booting
I get dozens of error messages concerning
"writing Tx descriptor toi BAP".
I haven't experimented much, but to date
the only solution I have found is to re-boot.)

I should say that I'm running the standard kernel PCMCIA modules,
and the standard orinoco_cs, etc, WiFi modules,
ie I'm just using a recent kernel - 2.4.21-pre3 --
with nothing added.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie