PCI wireless cards

Martin Pot m.t.pot at ieee.org
Mon May 5 11:23:11 EST 2003

Hi Philip.

Philip Heron wrote:
> I've been trying to get a PCI->PCMCIA adapter going for the past few
> days, not having much luck! The motherboard (PC-Chips with a Cyrix
> CPU, icky stuff) isn't playing nice with the IRQ's. The adapter is
> detected, but the orinico driver isn't getting an interrupt, seems to
> be a fairly common problem from what I've read.

What Linux distro are you using?

What sort of PCMCIA cradle is it?  Does it have a Ricoh chipset?
If so, you should definitely be able to get it working under Linux.

Apparently the Ricoh chipset cradles require a PCI2.2 compliant bus, but
I've had them working in several PCs with PCI2.1 buses, running RedHat 7.3.

It did require some hacking around with lilo append strings, and in one
case, I had to reserve an IO range (but that was only when I put two cards
into the PC).

See these URLs for more info:
http://martybugs.net/wireless/ppro.cgi
http://martybugs.net/wireless/optiplex.cgi