Wireless security and OpenSSH

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 28 07:47:08 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Rick Angell wrote:
> I have a laptop running XP and I would like to make a secure connection
> to my linux box at home.
>  Can I use OpenSSH for this?  Any ideas and suggestions much appreciated.
>  Thanks!     Rick

Definitely you can, and it's a *very* good idea.  On my home net, all
inter-machine login-type connections and file transfer are by ssh or scp.
This includes both wired and wireless links, and both Linux and WinXP. I'm
using SSH Secure Shell (Ylonen's organization) on WinXP, because it was
available and because I qualify for the free noncommercial/educational
license.  It's OpenSSH on Linux.

At work (UCLA Math Department) we're trying to get all our users to do the
same thing.  Pretty soon we're going to block telnet and rsh at the
firewall.  Here's our user support page:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/ssh/index.html

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)