Problems using DWL-650H

Craig Sanders cas at vicnet.net.au
Sun Jan 19 16:58:43 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 06:20:16AM +0100, Jan Rychter wrote:
>  David> Ok - I suggest you try using 0.13a (I haven't had time to push
>  David> it to Marcelo yet).  It fixes at least one bug that can result
>  David> in those errors (although I suspect there are multiple problems
>  David> :-( ).
>
> I've tried 0.13. Upon loading, it completely freezes my computer, which
> then reboots after several seconds.
>
> Should I still try 0.13a?

another thing that's worth trying is the hostap drivers.  they work
brilliantly on compaq wl-200 cards, and i had them working on a DWL-520
PCI card (then i sold the DWL-520 and bought a DWL-900AP+).

i'm pretty sure that they work with DWL-650 cards too.

the hostap drivers work whether you want to run as an AP, a managed
client, or ad-hoc.

btw, download the latest CVS tarball and compile that. it works very
nicely, and is a lot newer than the 2002.10.12 release. also comes with
updated utilities (inc. a 802.1x daemon)

http://hostap.epitest.fi/

craig

ps: there were two problems i encountered getting hostap drivers to
work.

first is make sure PCMCIA_PATH in the hostap Makefile points to
the source for your pcmcia-cs modules (on debian, that would be
/usr/src/modules/pcmcia).

the second is to make sure that pcmcia-cs is configured with
PCIC_OPTS="irq_mode=1". in debian, edit /etc/default/pcmcia. in redhat,
i belive that it's rc.pcmcia

--
Craig Sanders
Senior Systems Administrator