[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: DWL-900AP and Linux

Adam Smith moc_leader at iprimus.com.au
Wed Nov 27 15:36:45 EST 2002

Comments in-line

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Carter" <jimc at math.ucla.edu>
To: <wireless at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Re: DWL-900AP and Linux
> The factory firmware has a little web server which, beside configuring the
> AP, can accept a file of new firmware and flash it for you.  (Of course
> there's basic authentication and it will only take commands from the wired
> side.)  Once one had a reliable "distro" for the device, that would be the
> way to get it onto a new one. But it would have to work right the first
> time.

You would definatily have to hope :D

> As for the price, we paid US$100 for ours, equal to AUD 160, so someone at
> your end is making a generous profit.  Is it legal and feasible for you
> guys to order direct from the USA?  Or is there a 100% customs duty or
> something nasty like that?  Or are the channel assignments different -- in
> the USA we have channel 1 = 2.412 GHz up to 11 = 2.462 GHz, but not 12, 13
> or 14.

Well, legally here, the channels are the same, but we arn't allowed to use
channel 11 as it goes outside of the radio frequency set aside, or its
limited to 200mW or something like that. Unless of course if you have a
carrier licence ;).  As for tha customs duty, i'm not too sure, something to
check up on, but i wouldn't think that it is...

Hell Fire
Adam Smith