[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: DWL-900AP and Linux

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Wed Nov 27 15:46:11 EST 2002

Hello Adam,

>> As for the price, we paid US$100 for ours, equal to AUD 160, so someone at
>> your end is making a generous profit.  Is it legal and feasible for you
>> guys to order direct from the USA?  Or is there a 100% customs duty or
>> something nasty like that?  Or are the channel assignments different -- in
>> the USA we have channel 1 = 2.412 GHz up to 11 = 2.462 GHz, but not 12, 13
>> or 14.

AS> Well, legally here, the channels are the same, but we arn't allowed to use
AS> channel 11 as it goes outside of the radio frequency set aside, or its
AS> limited to 200mW or something like that. Unless of course if you have a
AS> carrier licence ;).  As for tha customs duty, i'm not too sure, something to
AS> check up on, but i wouldn't think that it is...

Channels 10 to 13 are legal only at 200mW unless you have a HAM
licence, carrier status makes no difference as far as I know...
However that said the ACA is drafting regulations to increase
2463.5Mhz to 2483.5Mhz to allow 4W across the entire band, still not
allowed channel 14 though...

As for the price difference, all wireless kit in australia is much
more expensive then the US, and the headaches to import (not to
mention all the stories from hell when ppl did import and things went
wrong, very hard/expensive if you get shipped a DOA unit) (technically
$100USD is closer to 200AUD usually)

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com