[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: DWL-900AP and Linux

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 27 15:30:45 EST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Craig Sanders wrote:
> i was talking about the 900AP+ - sorry, i should have been more
> specific.
> --- snip ---
> and they're fairly cheap.  i bought mine for AUD $275.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find that it's running Linux already.  Of
course, there's no documentation so you can't do anything with it...

The factory firmware has a little web server which, beside configuring the
AP, can accept a file of new firmware and flash it for you.  (Of course
there's basic authentication and it will only take commands from the wired
side.)  Once one had a reliable "distro" for the device, that would be the
way to get it onto a new one. But it would have to work right the first
time.

As for the price, we paid US$100 for ours, equal to AUD 160, so someone at
your end is making a generous profit.  Is it legal and feasible for you
guys to order direct from the USA?  Or is there a 100% customs duty or
something nasty like that?  Or are the channel assignments different -- in
the USA we have channel 1 = 2.412 GHz up to 11 = 2.462 GHz, but not 12, 13
or 14.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)