promisc on orinoco and symbol card

Mihai Holinschi neeraj at rdsnet.ro
Mon Nov 18 08:25:34 EST 2002

Hi!

I have a 3crwe737a (Airconnect pcmcia) card, which seems to be some Symbol
card, with 3com stickes and MAC address slapped on.

For some reason (hardware damage?), I'm now unable to use this card with
other drivers than orinoco_cs (including versions of spectrum24t_cs which
have worked in the past. Now I get "S24T_tx: not ready for transmit!").

Now, something even better came up. It appears that whenever I put the
interface into promiscous mode, AP traps, as well as the leds on the card
suggest it loses association every 2 seconds, but re-associates
immediately. Interestingly enough, this only starts when there's heavy
traffic passing through it, but even if the traffic stops, the
association/deassociation thing keeps going.

This has happened with orinoco_cs 0.11a to 0.13beta1 .
(I haven't had a chance to try older versions).

When modprobe'd, versions up to 0.13b1 (not including) yell about
  hermes @ IO 0x100: Frame allocation command failed (0xFFFFFFFB)
but 0x13b1 notes only that
  eth0: firmware ALLOC bug detected (old Symbol firmware?). Trying to work
around... ok.

Has anyone with a similar card experience similar problems?

Right now, I use:

card firmware version: v2.20-01
pcmcia-cs: 3.1.34
this happened while using kernels 2.4.18, 2.4.19, and various
Alan Cox patches and freeswan.

Can anyone point me to newer firmwares? 3com appears to have discontinued
reasonable support for this card, and I've been unable to get anything of
use out of Symbol.Com.

This is really distressing, as I can only think of blaming hardware damage
and little, yet playful green, red and beige creatures living inside the
card.

I'll wellcome any information regarding this and I'd be happy to provide
more information and additional testing.

With thanks,
Mihai

-- neeraj at rdsnet dot ro
include 'send pgp key' in the subject to get my pgp key

Today's lecture is about outer space and how it will eventually
INPLODE IN ON ITSELF !