Wireless access point

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Nov 18 10:19:47 EST 2002

Douglas Asmussen wrote:
> Am a little confused as to the difference between a Wireless Access Point
> and a wireless access point router. When I asked the rep at Futureshop they
> shrug their shoulders. The wireless router is aprox $50 cheaper than the
> Wireless Access Point. So does anyone have the time to explain the
> difference to me. TIA. Douglas

What the official IEEE802.11 specs say a wireless access point is, and what
some marketing genius for some off-shore manufacturer package as a wireless
access point can differ somewhat. Maybe it would help if you gave us the
actual brand and model numbers of the devices you are evaluating and then we
can check the specs and let you know the actual differences.

In general, though, a wireless access point performs a bridging function
between a set of wireless devices within its Basic Service Set (BSS) and a
wired (typically Ethernet) network. This sort of device would typically be
used on a larger corporate LAN, or in a smaller environment behind some other
firewall devices.

A wireless access point router, on the other hand, will generally include a
DHCP server, Network Address Translation (NAT) function and possibly an ADSL
or analog modem for connection to an ISP. This sort of device would typically
be used at home or in a small office. It probably also allows a straight
access point functionality.

The router device may be cheaper as it may not have as many "knobs to twiddle"
as the plain wireless access point in terms of tuning the wireless parameters.

But I can't really say without you providing more specific details of which
devices you are looking at.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.