Available rates (SIOCGIWRANGE)

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 10 12:31:10 EST 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002 12:15, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 12:10:19PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> > On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 09:14:06AM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:
> > > In SIOCGIWRANGE, is the understanding that iw_range->num_bitrates (and
> > > the corresponding bitrate[] entries) corresponds to the hardware that
> > > the driver is supporting, or the bit rates that are supported by the
> > > BSS (per IEEE802.11 section 7.3.2.2)?
> >
> > I believe it's the rates supported by the hardware - at least that's
> > how I interpreted it.  Jean, can you confirm?
>
> 	Supported by the local hardware.
> 	To see the rate supported by the BSS, you will need Scanning
> support (this is a relatively new feature - see my web page).
> 	David has not yet integrated this feature in the driver. Also,
> the Lucent firmware doesn't report the rates of the BSS, and I could
> not find how to get Scanning to work on Symbol firmware, so you need a
> PrismII firmware (or to use the airo or poldhu driver which already
> support Scanning).
Thanks.
I am working on the at76c503a driver (802.11 over USB) again, and the device
can scan (at least, it does with windows, I can't even make it start up
reliably). I just wondered which of the (identical) values I should report.

--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.