Available rates (SIOCGIWRANGE)

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Fri May 10 12:38:58 EST 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 12:31:10PM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:

> Thanks.
> I am working on the at76c503a driver (802.11 over USB) again, and the device
> can scan (at least, it does with windows, I can't even make it start up
> reliably). I just wondered which of the (identical) values I should report.

	iwrange is supposed to be static info avaiable for cheap. It
won't change over the lifetime of the driver. You may even hardcode it
in the driver and do a memcpy...
	Everything that is "dynamic", which mean explicit request to
the hardware to get the current value, is implemented as a specific
call, to minimise overhead. You may have the BSS rate locally
available, but for most card this is a request (either to the firmware
or to the AP).
	Good luck...

	Jean

P.S. : Tell me when I should add a link to my web page ;-)