Available rates (SIOCGIWRANGE)

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Fri May 10 12:15:44 EST 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 12:10:19PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 09:14:06AM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:
> > In SIOCGIWRANGE, is the understanding that iw_range->num_bitrates (and the
> > corresponding bitrate[] entries) corresponds to the hardware that the driver
> > is supporting, or the bit rates that are supported by the BSS (per IEEE802.11
> > section 7.3.2.2)?
>
> I believe it's the rates supported by the hardware - at least that's
> how I interpreted it.  Jean, can you confirm?

	Supported by the local hardware.
	To see the rate supported by the BSS, you will need Scanning
support (this is a relatively new feature - see my web page).
	David has not yet integrated this feature in the driver. Also,
the Lucent firmware doesn't report the rates of the BSS, and I could
not find how to get Scanning to work on Symbol firmware, so you need a
PrismII firmware (or to use the airo or poldhu driver which already
support Scanning).
	Regards,

	Jean