Zaurus & Symbol

Christophe Lucas christophe.lucas at nist.gov
Fri May 10 00:40:13 EST 2002

Albert,

I have a Zaurus SL-5000 and a Symbol Spectrum24 compact flash wireless
adapter.
I tried to install the driver for the Symbol Spectrum24 compact flash card
just as you explain it in the README file.
I first copied spectrum_cs.o in
/lib/modules/2.4.6-rmk1-np2-embedix/kernel/drivers/net
I updated the content of /etc/pcmcia/config with spectrum.conf
Then I tried "/sbin/cardctl ident 0", the result was
    	product info: "Symbol", "Spectrum24 LA4100 Series WLAN PC Card", "1.00"
    	manfid: 0x26c, 0x0001
	function: 6 (network)
I tried "/sbin/depmod", result:
	depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.6-rmk1-np2-embedix/kernel/drivers/net/spectrum_cs.o
then "/etc/rc.d/init.d/S06pcmcia restart"
	Shutting down PCMCIA services: cardmgr.
	Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr.
and nothing happened... I mean the card was not recognized, I tried to
reboot and I saw this message "unrecognized card in socket 0" during the
boot process
Please help :-)

Christophe Lucas

Your README file:
v.7 2002-05-03

Here's the drivers for Hermes/Prism2 wireless cards built for Sharp Zaurus:

- orinoco_cs v.0.11b by David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au>
  supports most of LucentOrinoco/IntersilPrism2 cards.

- spectrum_cs v.0.2.4 by Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org>
  supports Symbol and Socket Communications Spectrum24 cards.

Installation:
============

1. Unpack wireless.tar archive into the
   /lib/modules/2.4.6-rmk1-np2-embedix/kernel/drivers/net directory, i.e.:

   # cp wireless.tar /tmp
   # cd /lib/modules/2.4.6-rmk1-np2-embedix/kernel/drivers/net
   # /bin/tar xvf /tmp/wireless.tar
   # rm /tmp/wireless.tar

2. If you don't need support for LucentOrinoco/IntersilPrism2 cards, you can
safely
   remove orinoco_cs.o and hermes.conf

3. Copy and paste the content of spectrum.conf into /etc/pcmcia/config file.

4. Insert your wireless card, run `/sbin/cardctl ident 0` and verify that
your card
   is already defined in /etc/pcmcia/config. If it's not there, add a new
bind
   statement for your card.

5. run `/sbin/depmod` to update module dependencies.

6. run `/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart` to restart cardmgr.

At this point if everything goes well, your wireless card will be recognized
and
a small CF icon will appear in the bar at the bottom of the screen. If you
see it,
please email the output of `/sbin/cardctl ident 0` to <albertr at forbes.net>
and
<proski at gnu.org>.

If it's not recognized?
  with description of the problem along with the output of `/sbin/cardctl
ident`
  and `tail /var/log/messages`

What's next:
===========

Unfortunately, wireless extention is not compiled into the sharp default
kernels.
You need an updated kernel to be able to use Wireless Tools for advanced
options
like WEP encryption, key, etc.

I hope that either future ROM update from Sharp or some other project like
OpenZaurus will come with a kernel with wireless extention.

Credits:
=======

All credits go to the authors of the drivers. If you find it useful or would
like
to support their futher development, please contact them directly.

Standard disclaimer:

Use on your own risk. I would not be held liable for ANY DAMAGE produced by
those drivers! As usual, it could be a good idea to make a full backup
before
trying it.

Have fun,
-albertr <albertr at forbes.net>