Intel 2011 and orinoco_cs

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed May 8 14:03:46 EST 2002

Hi, Jasmeet!

> I have had no luck with the orinoco drivers.  You are correct,
> Spectrum24 drivers are not supported by Airsnort.  I have found no
> documentation regarding this anywhere on the net and have come to a dead
> end.  The only thing left to do now is to try and hack the orinoco
> drivers to use some of the code from the Spectrum24 drivers.

I did _exactly_ that :-)

http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/symbol/

This driver is for the cards without the firmware in ROM.  The firmware is
downloaded before the card is used.

But there is one important detail apart from the firmware download - the
software reset function uses not only PCMCIA COR (Configuration register),
but also HCR (Host Configuration Register) specific to the hfa3842 chip
(it's absent in the older hfa3841 chip).

I was actually surprized that HCR wasn't used in the orinoco_cs driver and
nobody complained.  I assumed that most PCMCIA cards use hfa3841 and only
CompactFlash cards without the firmware in ROM use hfa3842.  It may happen
that your card is based on hfa3842.

You can test this.  If you are using orinoco_cs version 0.11b, find the
following string in orinoco_cs.c:

This seems to help on Symbol cards, but we're not sure why

Then replace "#if 0" with "#if 1" on the same line and give it a try.  The
feedback is much appreciated.

I found your message that you posted in March.  Many things have changed
since then.  Get the latest Wireless Tools.  To fix the warning about
version mismatch, make sure that /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux
links point to include/asm and include/linux in your current kernel.

The weird channel problem (42.9497GHz) is not fixed yet, but it's safe to
ignore - it's not fatal.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin