Orinoco and RH 7.2: close but no cigar

Phongsak Prasithsangaree phongsak at mail.sis.pitt.edu
Wed May 1 14:08:07 EST 2002

Hi

Actually you should create /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0.
The quick and easy way, use 'netcfg' that comes with the Redhat package to
config the eth0 interface.

Alternatively, you can change the /etc/pcmcia/network.opt to set up the
static or dynamic IP address when the card is plugged in. It is pretty
easy and straightforword.  See PCMCIA-HOWTO for more details about
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts.

Hope this help
Phongsak

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Mike Starnes wrote:

> Thanks Pavel, "ifconfig -a" does show eth0 but with no inet addr or Mask. The
> RG-1100 doesn't issue ip's with dhcp when operating in bridge mode. Is there a
> way to give eth0 a static ip address and netmask? I tried creating a
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth0 file using Orinoco's example for the
> orinoco_cs driver but it didn't work with the wvlan_cs driver.
>
> Pavel Roskin wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Mike!
> >
> > > But I can't ping anything, not even a local box on the lan. "ifconfig" and
> > > "route" show only the lo interface. It seems like the card and driver are
> > > working but has no ip address or route. How are these assigned to a wireless
> > > card?
> >
> > "ifconfig -a" shows all interfaces, even those which are down.  You should
> > set the IP address and the netmask on the interface and bring it down.
> >
> > Most likely, you should just run a DHCP client of your choice: pump,
> > dhclient, or dhcpcd.  RedHat 7.2 has pump installed as /sbin/pump.
> >
> > > Am I correct in assuming it's almost working? Hoping to get this working
> > > without recompiling the kernel or installing a new pcmcia package or
> > > orinoco_cs. The laptop has no network connection other than floppy_net.
> > > Think I read in this list's archives that this should work. All help
> > > appreciated. Have RTFM, all that I can find, but still in the dark.
> >
> > The hardware is working already if you have a non-zero link quality.  You
> > just need to set up the network on the IP level.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Pavel Roskin

Phongsak Prasithsangaree
Ph.D. student, Telcommunication Program, School of Information Science,
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA