Orinoco and RH 7.2: close but no cigar

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed May 1 11:34:20 EST 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:43:18PM -0600, Mike Starnes wrote:

> I've been trying for some time to get an Orinoco Gold card to work on a Dell
> Latitude with a linux OS. Tried Mandrake 7.2 for a while then recently installed
> Red Hat 7.2 with a stock 2.4.7-10 kernel.

> Am I correct in assuming it's almost working? Hoping to get this working without
> recompiling the kernel or installing a new pcmcia package or orinoco_cs.

Isn't the orinoco_cs module present in this kernel
(in /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/net/orinoco_cs.o)?

I tested my Orinoco Gold card with this kernel,
and it seemed to work perfectly.
I edited /etc/pcmcia/config to use orinoco_cs:

==================================
card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter"
  version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE"
#  bind "wvlan_cs"
  bind "orinoco_cs"
==================================

and also edited /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts to turn off encryption,
set the mode to Managed (possibly not appropriate for you),
and a couple of other changes:

==================================
# Lucent Wavelan IEEE (+ Orinoco, RoamAbout and ELSA)
# Melco/Buffalo Networks WLI-PCM-L11
# Note : wvlan_cs driver only, and version 1.0.4+ for encryption support
*,*,*,00:60:1D:*|*,*,*,00:02:2D:*)
#    INFO="Wavelan IEEE example (Lucent default settings)"
    INFO="Wavelan IEEE (settings for william)"
#    ESSID="Wavelan Network"
    ESSID="maths.tcd.ie"
#    MODE="Ad-Hoc"
    MODE="Managed"
#    RATE="auto"
#    KEY="s:secu1"
    ENC=off
# To set all four keys, use :
#   KEY="s:secu1 [1] key s:secu2 [2] key s:secu3 [3] key s:secu4 [4] key [1]"
# For the RG 1000 Residential Gateway: The ESSID is the identifier on
# the unit, and the default key is the last 5 digits of the same.
#   ESSID="084d70"
#   KEY="s:84d70"
    ;;

Iwconfig didn't seem able to change these settings with this kernel.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: 086-233 6090