Symbol Spectrum24 CF works with Ethereal, AirSnort

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Jun 29 04:44:48 EST 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:53:45 -0400, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> Great!  I'll try it!
>
> I had done the equivalent thing with the 0.3.3 version of your driver
> and the orinoco 0.11 patch, and found that it did work, but only for
> about a minute.  Then it would stop receiving packets for some reason.

OK, I tried it, and I see the same behaviour (on my Zaurus).

If I start scanning when I'm in my house, I do in fact see my own network.
but once I'm out of range of my net (an Ad-Hoc network with WEP), I stop
receiving packets, even if I wander through other wireless nodes.

If I bring the card down and back up and start scanning again in those nodes,
I usually pick them up, but the same thing happens once I go out of range.

[Also, I notice that I have to "iwconfig eth0 key off" in order to see any
networks at all.]

   - Ian