Symbol Spectrum24 CF works with Ethereal, AirSnort

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sat Jun 29 05:10:04 EST 2002

Hi, Ian!

> > I had done the equivalent thing with the 0.3.3 version of your driver
> > and the orinoco 0.11 patch, and found that it did work, but only for
> > about a minute.  Then it would stop receiving packets for some reason.

Sorry, I missed this information initially or you forgot to tell me about
it.

I thought you hadn't tried or you had, but unsuccessfully.  That's why I
assumed that the problem had something to do with the firmware, or that it
was specific to that card.

Can you try the same with another card?

> If I start scanning when I'm in my house, I do in fact see my own network.
> but once I'm out of range of my net (an Ad-Hoc network with WEP), I stop
> receiving packets, even if I wander through other wireless nodes.

Sorry, I forgot which software you use for that.  Maybe you should switch
channels by hand (with iwpriv).  Try AirSnort.  It scans all channels.

> If I bring the card down and back up and start scanning again in those nodes,
> I usually pick them up, but the same thing happens once I go out of range.

Try investigating it further (e.g play with parameters of access points,
use other sniffers), and if it's still unclear, give more details - list
all cards, all access points, their WEP settings, driver versions etc.

> [Also, I notice that I have to "iwconfig eth0 key off" in order to see any
> networks at all.]

As I said, don't expect it to be pretty.  Ideally, the driver should
take care of it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin