Symbol Spectrum24 CF works with Ethereal, AirSnort

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Jun 29 02:07:42 EST 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 11:55:45AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Sorry that I didn't have time to check it earlier, but now I can answer
> Ian's question.
>
> My driver for Symbol Spectrum24 CF, Socket Communication CF and Intel
> 2011B (http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/symbol/) as of version 0.3.4 works
> with Airsnort, Ethereal and possibly other sniffing tools, just like it
> works with cards with Intersil firmware.
>
> How to do it:
>
> Apply Airsnort patch for Orinoco 0.12
> (http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinoco-0.12-patch.diff) to Spectrum driver
> 0.3.4 (http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/symbol/spectrum24-0.3.4.tar.gz)

Great!  I'll try it!

I had done the equivalent thing with the 0.3.3 version of your driver
and the orinoco 0.11 patch, and found that it did work, but only for
about a minute.  Then it would stop receiving packets for some reason.

> Compile and install it as usual.
>
> Insert the card, make sure the driver has found it.
>
> Run this command (you need wireless tool for that):
>
> iwpriv ethX monitor 1 11
>
> I cannot find any documentation about those numbers, but from what I see
> in the code, the first number is 1 to enable monitoring, 0 to disable it.
> The second number is the channel.

[The first number sets the monitor mode: 0 is disable, 1 is enable with
prism headers, 2 is enable without prism headers.  See
http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html ]

> Get recent versions of libpcap (I have libpcap-0.7.1) and Ethereal
> (I have ethereal-0.9.4).  If you want to scan the network, get AirSnort
> (0.2.1a is fine).
>
> Once you enable the monitoring, you can run Airsnort to scan for networks
> and Ethereal to capture and analyze packets.  They work just fine.
>
> By the way, there is no firmware specific code in the Airsnort patch,
> except a commented out piece of code with the comment "Orinoco doesn't
> like this".

Yup, that's what I found when I dove into it, too.

Thanks!  I'll try it this weekend and report back.

   - Ian