Symbol Spectrum24 CF works with Ethereal, AirSnort

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sat Jun 29 01:55:45 EST 2002

Hello!

Sorry that I didn't have time to check it earlier, but now I can answer
Ian's question.

My driver for Symbol Spectrum24 CF, Socket Communication CF and Intel
2011B (http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/symbol/) as of version 0.3.4 works
with Airsnort, Ethereal and possibly other sniffing tools, just like it
works with cards with Intersil firmware.

How to do it:

Apply Airsnort patch for Orinoco 0.12
(http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinoco-0.12-patch.diff) to Spectrum driver
0.3.4 (http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/symbol/spectrum24-0.3.4.tar.gz)

Compile and install it as usual.

Insert the card, make sure the driver has found it.

Run this command (you need wireless tool for that):

iwpriv ethX monitor 1 11

I cannot find any documentation about those numbers, but from what I see
in the code, the first number is 1 to enable monitoring, 0 to disable it.
The second number is the channel.

Get recent versions of libpcap (I have libpcap-0.7.1) and Ethereal
(I have ethereal-0.9.4).  If you want to scan the network, get AirSnort
(0.2.1a is fine).

Once you enable the monitoring, you can run Airsnort to scan for networks
and Ethereal to capture and analyze packets.  They work just fine.

By the way, there is no firmware specific code in the Airsnort patch,
except a commented out piece of code with the comment "Orinoco doesn't
like this".

Have fun!

--
Regards,