Cisco AP's as repeaters

Tom Balon td_balon at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 00:40:43 EST 2002

I'm trying to extend the reach of my wireless site to
include three remote sites. The remote sites are LOS
and are at distances of 1.5 to 2.5 miles out. The
current solution uses Orinoco gear. However, in order
to setup the remote sites, I'd need to use COR/ROR
solution or Karlnet. Both of which cost big bucks.

It has been suggested that I use Cisco Aironet 350
ruggedized AP's configured as repeaters at the remote
sites and a Cisco 350 AP at the main site. The
docs for the Cisco clearly show this is possible but
do not speicify any distance restrictions on how far
the AP's can be placed apart. They do say that
non-cisco devices may have problems communicating with
a repeater AP. This could be a huge problem.

Since all the remote clients will be using garden
variety WiFi cards, I need to understand exactly what
they mean by this. Would someone that has deployed a
system like this care to comment on their experience?

-Tom