Asymmetry in performance using orinoco_cs

Tom Balon td_balon at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 00:56:12 EST 2002

I'm running a Suse 7.3 kernel with the orinoco_cs.o
driver (rel 0.10) and a Orinoco Silver radio card. It
is acting as my firewall/gateway to the Internet
connecting an ISP's Cisco AP offering a 2Mbs
connection.

The ISP rates the radio link at 2Mbs. I can connect
fine and the download speed is very good. A simple
download of a large file from the internet shows
approx 200 KB/sec speeds. Multiple tests using web,
ftp etc. all show very good download speed.

Upload speeds are horrible. I'm seeing only 30 to
34 KB/sec. I've played with setting RTS and this
helps in some cases to increase the speeds but overall
the upload speed is terrible.

I don't understand why I can get such good download
performance while uploads are so slow.

Link quality is 34/92, signal level -66, noise -101

-Tom