[Fwd: Thanks]

Mick Stuckings Michael.Stuckings at faceng.anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 11 17:32:44 EST 2002

If you want to even connect two computers to your internet connection
(narrow or broadband), you need to read your acceptable usage policy
carefully. The AUP is usually designed for one windows machine with a
modem to be connected at any one time. Even using a linux box as a
NATting firewall to protect your windows box may not be allowed.
It does tend to be the same in the US, but different ISPs have different
rules, and as in Oz, it's unlikely that you'll get caught, so it's not
likely to be a problem :) .
For example, Transact's site indicates that they are happy for you to
share your connection within your home.
http://www.transact.com.au/forhome/faq.asp#tech
Telstra agrrement also now allows you to connect your link to a LAN.
I think the ISPs are catching up with the fact that their target market
frequently has more than one computer.
I have a link in Lyneham, but it uses obsolete cards. We have up to 10
machines connected to the outside world through one 56K modem, four on
one end of the link and six on the other :) .

Mick

PS For anyone still in possession of one of the webgear aviator cards we
use who wants to add an antenna to it, here is my modification page,
which has recently moved:
http://engnet.anu.edu.au/DEpeople/Mick.Stuckings/wireless/