Correct way of using the orinoco_cs driver

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Jan 20 23:26:07 EST 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:31:07PM +1000, Mike O'Connor wrote:
> Hi
>
> If I use the one with the kernel I get a message in the log about needing to
> upgrade orinoco because of a firmware bug in my zoomtel.
>
> This is why I\'m trying the newer source code.

Ok, I think what I did was simply copy the downloaded files over the ones in
the kernel tree and recompile,

> > Are you sure you\'re compiling the orinoco driver against the right
> > kernel
> > tree?
>
> I have made sure that the links in /usr/include point to the correct headers and
> pcmcia is building aginast the correct source.

You modified the *links* in /usr/include. That's *evil*!!. What distribution
is this? /usr/include should have no links to kernel source. It should
contain the actual headers that glibc was compiled with, irrespective of
what version you are running.

> I\'m not useing the kernel pcmcia modules could this be the problem ? The one
> email message I found that made any sense was said that the code version problem
> was caused by modules compiling aganst the kernel pcmcia not the pcmcia source
> code, but it did not get any way of fixing this.

Well, the kernel includes pcmcia these days, does it not? But yes, if you
have a version of pcmcia installed that does not match the one in the
kernel, you may get some stange results.

I'm using standard kernel pcmcia, default pcmcia debian package and the
orinoco_cs included in the standard kernel. I do think join copying over a
newer version is the best idea.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>