IBSS-adhoc interoperability is good!

David Gibson dgibson at ozlabs.au.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 10:07:21 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:16:10PM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 05:18:18PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > Hmm.  I haven't been able to connect Linux and FreeBSD with ad-hoc
> > mode.  Have you had any luck there?
>
> Well, I don't have any freebsd boxes, never have, so I can't answer
> directly. However, something to check would be the type of ad-hoc mode.
> There is IBSS-Adhoc mode and Ad-hoc demo mode and they are *not* compatable.
> Make sure you are using the same on each end. Matching essids and
> frequencies is good but it doesn't appear that the essid is critical. (I can
> talk to other machines that have a different essid).

Well, matching frequencies and essids is critical (or should be), but
the cards do have a tendency to autoselect frequencies and essid to
find other cards.  If you explicitly give to cards different essids
they should not communicate - that's the whole point of essid.  Are
you sure they really have a different essid, or has one of them
changed essid behind your back?  Note that iwconfig will give
misleading results for essid (and other things) if the interface is
down.