IBSS-adhoc interoperability is good!

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Jan 2 19:16:10 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 05:18:18PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Hmm.  I haven't been able to connect Linux and FreeBSD with ad-hoc
> mode.  Have you had any luck there?

Well, I don't have any freebsd boxes, never have, so I can't answer
directly. However, something to check would be the type of ad-hoc mode.
There is IBSS-Adhoc mode and Ad-hoc demo mode and they are *not* compatable.
Make sure you are using the same on each end. Matching essids and
frequencies is good but it doesn't appear that the essid is critical. (I can
talk to other machines that have a different essid).

With the linux orinoco driver you use the iwpriv set_port3 to set the type.
For freebsd I have no idea.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>