IBSS-adhoc interoperability is good!

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Jan 3 18:08:26 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:07:21AM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> Well, matching frequencies and essids is critical (or should be), but
> the cards do have a tendency to autoselect frequencies and essid to
> find other cards.  If you explicitly give to cards different essids
> they should not communicate - that's the whole point of essid.  Are
> you sure they really have a different essid, or has one of them
> changed essid behind your back?  Note that iwconfig will give
> misleading results for essid (and other things) if the interface is
> down.

I'm serious. I have set in my pcmcia/wireless.opts (iirc) file I set ESSID
to "wireless" yet without changing any settings I can see and be seen by
machines with the ESSID "rainmaker" (a powerbook, win98 laptop and a 486
linux one). iwconfig shows the essid as "wireless". In fact, the 486 I don't
think sets it's ESSID at all (can't find a wireless-tools compiled for
slink).

If you want more details I can provide them.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/