WPC11 issues with wvlan vs orinico/hermes

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 15 04:37:07 EST 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Jason Radford wrote:
> I'm running a WAP-11 linksys access point with the WPC11 card.  The
> output of iwconfig indicates "managed" mode.  The message I get
> when the driver is loading for the firmware version is this
>
> wvlan_cs: Found firmware 0x8 (vendor 0) - Firmware capabilities : 0-0-0-0-0

Wierder and wierder!  This is the first time anyone has reported such
problems in Managed mode.  And on an Intersil <-> Intersil link too!

> There doesnt seem to be an error type messages when the modules are
> iwconfig/ifconfig output below.  I dont see any transfer errors when
> running the orinoco/hermes combo, just the slowness.

Interesting: with the 12 Kbyte/sec transfers, you show just two framing
errors, where the Agere firmware would be reporting more than one error per
packet.  But with wvlan_cs you get 3071 "invalid misc" errors, possibly
about one per packet, but full speed operation.

You don't suppose Linksys bought a pallet full of surplus Agere cards and
put them in the access points, do you?  Just joking ... I hope.  Agere
access points have actual PCMCIA cards socketed in to a single board
computer, and it's generally believed that all the vendors do it similarly.

P.S. I'm going to have limited net access for about a week, so replies may
be delayed.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)