Lockups with Orinoco and 2.4.19

Thomas Bueschgens sledge at seconet.de
Wed Aug 14 03:06:47 EST 2002

Hi there on the list,

a few days ago I upgraded one of my boxes running 2.4.19 from plain
ethernet to wireless. I thought I am "experienced" setting up
pcmcia-stuff nuder linux, esp. wireless, but I am out of wits here.

My setup:
Agere RG-I Home Gateway (gateway between ADSL and wireless network)
AMD Athlon 1200 with 256 MB Ram
PCI-PCMCIA-Converter (TI 1410 based, I believed)
Orinoco 40bit WiFi Card with Firmware 8.10

Homebrew Linux distro (well, that was Slackware once upon a time...)

I upgraded to Kernel 2.4.19 by the book and everything went smooth,
networking and the like. Until the moment I decided to use wireless
lan on THAT box.

1st try: Using the ekrnel-drivers. Worked kind of. They loaded fine
after installation of pcmcia-stuff (thanks to david hind) and I
started the dhcpcd. I could ping the gateyway, but dns didn't work. I
pinged a host in the internet and received the following (after a few
successfull replies from ping):

wrong data byte #0 should be 0xbb but was 0xbaba c7 47 3d 44 32 8 0 8
9 a b c d  ..... 2e 2f

Then, a few seconds later: Lockup. A hard one like described here on
the list.

2nd try: Using the pcmcia-cs driver. Same as above

3rd try: Using wavelan2_cs driver (lib/bin from lucent). Same as above

4th try: Using oricono 12b driver (had to wait until now since
samba.org was beeing moved this weekend, couldn't get to the homepage
of the driver). Well, first thing: No dns. Ok, just entered a
nameserver into resolv.conf. Firing up X11 with twm worked like a
charme, started mozilla and started to surf the
net. Great.. everything smooth, chugging along peacefully. Started a
download (5MB). Worked fine. Searched google when suddenly the d*mned
thing froze again.

So here I am asking for some guidance / help regarding this topic.

Funny thing: The same hardware works flawlessly under
Win98... regarding the wireless-stuff, I mean. So I think we can rule
out a hardware wissue (hopefully).

Any ideas how to get up a stable wireless system are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

        Thomas

--
 Thomas Bueschgens		PGP-key available at server or via email
 sledge at acm.org			sledge at seconet.de

 "The only system that is truly secure is one that is switched off and
 unplugged, locked in a titanium-lined safe, buried in a concrete
 bunker, and surrounded by nerve gas and very highly-paid armed
 guards. Even then, I wouldn't stake my life on it."  -- Gene Spafford