About the Orinoco driver

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Apr 18 07:42:29 EST 2002

Hi, Joel!

>   I have been using 2.4.x kernels (Usually newer than 2.4.17) and PCMCIA
> 3.1.31 or better but my problems persist!

If you mean the problems in your other message, they don't seem to be
related to the hardware.

>   What bugs do I need to worry about with a monolithic Kernel that
> supports the Lucent/Agere PCMCIA chipset?

I haven't seen Lucent cards for a long time, so I don't know.  I believe
that if you upgrade the Orinoco driver to 0.11 and pcmcia-cs to 3.1.33,
you should not worry about any bugs.

> I have an Orinoco silver AND the Melco WLI-PCM-L11G both. I think they
> are PrismI chipsets but possible PrismII. Also, I am pretty sure they
> are NOT PC cardbus - Thats the really fast PCMCIA bus, right? I think
> mine are the older 16bit stuff.

I'm quite sure that you are dealing with 16-bit PCMCIA cards.  But I
believe they are both Prism 2 cards, since there is a comment in orinoco.c
that says:

 * A driver for Hermes or Prism 2 chipset based PCMCIA wireless
 * adaptors, with Lucent/Agere, Intersil or Symbol firmware.

>   Pretty much tried everything. Compiling Orinoco drivers, compiling
> wvlan drivers, tried the other wavlan drivers, tried RH 7.1,7.2,7.2
> beta, Mandrake 8.1, 8.2. Etc.

I believe that Orinico 0.11 is the best choice for you.  If you have
hardware problems with it, then please give details including kernel log
(output of dmesg) and output of lsmod.

>   Right now, I can actually ping across my ISP AP but I can not go
> through the AP. I can ping another PC on the same subnet but if its not
> on my subnet OR its an address out on the internet, its worthless. Very
> very strange. ALSO, I can not ping the AP gateway.

If you can ping, it's not a hardware problem.  Don't waste your time
trying all possible drivers.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin