3Com 3CRWE73796B

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 3 11:45:38 EST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Alex wrote:
> I have a problem with a 3com card (3CRWE73796B).
>
> when I insert it, cardmgr loads the orinoco module and everything seems ok,
> but when I try to issue a command to the nic I get an error like this:
>
> # iwconfig eth1 essid any
> Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
>     SET failed on device eth1 ; Device or resource busy.

Some cards can't handle ESSID = any; I don't know which ones, but I can now
make a guess :-)  You have to know the ESSID of the network you want to
use, and set that explicitly.

The reason a strange frequency is reported is that the card initially seems
to be on channel 0, and the table translating channels to frequencies
starts at 1.  My instance of the driver reports 42 GHz for channel 0 :-)
When the card associates with an access point, or in Ad-Hoc mode when you
set the channel explicitly, the frequency display will become reasonable.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)