3Com 3CRWE73796B

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Apr 4 16:37:21 EST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:32:04AM +0200, Alex wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a problem with a 3com card (3CRWE73796B).
>
> when I insert it, cardmgr loads the orinoco module and everything seems ok,
> but when I try to issue a command to the nic I get an error like this:
>
> # iwconfig eth1 essid any
> Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
>     SET failed on device eth1 ; Device or resource busy.
>
> and in the syslog appears this line:
>
> kernel: eth1: Error -16 shutting down Hermes chipset

Ah yes, this is a problem we have with Symbol firmware.  We normally
issue an 'INIT' command to the firmware to reset the card, but the
Symbol firmware falls in a heap if the INIT command is issued more
than once.  We had a workaround which used a PCMCIA COR reset on these
cards instead but we seem to have accidently lost the bit which
activated that automatically in a reshuffle somewhere.  Oops.