Taking the wireless plunge

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 11 07:41:44 EST 2001

Andrew Pollock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering going nuts and running wireless ethernet at home instead of
> tripping over CAT5 cables running down my hallway.
>
> Can people who have "been there, done that" offer any tips or suggestions?
>
> I was intending to have the following scenario:
>
>     +-----+          +------------+     +-------+      +-------+
> ====|Linux|..........|Access Point|-----|  Hub  |------|Windows|
>     +-----+     .    +------------+     +-------+      +-------+
>                 .
>                 .
>                 .
>             +--------+
>             | Laptop |
>             +--------+
>
> where
>
> ==== is ADSL
> ---- is CAT5
> .... is 802.11
>
> and use a PCMCIA wireless client card in my laptop and in the Linux box (with a
> PCI adapter) and plug an access point into the hub.
>
> Orinoco is the first vendor that I've been able to confirm supports Linux, if
> there are any better/cheaper vendors out there, I wouldn't mind a nudge in the
> right direction.
>
> TIA
>
> Andrew
The only main issue I can see is that all your traffic from your laptop to
your
ADSL line willgo on wireless twice (once from laptop to AP, then from AP to
Linux router). I suppose you can't plug the AP into Linux box and have the
'doze
machine on a PCI wireless card? This is more or less how my home (and work)
networks work, and we also run CIPE over the wireless links (doesn't work with
'doze 9x) to enforce a greater security.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.