Taking the wireless plunge

Andrew Pollock andrew at andrew.net.au
Mon Sep 10 16:40:22 EST 2001

Hi,

I'm considering going nuts and running wireless ethernet at home instead of
tripping over CAT5 cables running down my hallway.

Can people who have "been there, done that" offer any tips or suggestions?

I was intending to have the following scenario:

    +-----+          +------------+     +-------+      +-------+
====|Linux|..........|Access Point|-----|  Hub  |------|Windows|
    +-----+     .    +------------+     +-------+      +-------+
                .
                .
                .
            +--------+
            | Laptop |
            +--------+

where

==== is ADSL
---- is CAT5
.... is 802.11

and use a PCMCIA wireless client card in my laptop and in the Linux box (with a
PCI adapter) and plug an access point into the hub.

Orinoco is the first vendor that I've been able to confirm supports Linux, if
there are any better/cheaper vendors out there, I wouldn't mind a nudge in the
right direction.

TIA

Andrew