Netgear MA301 works

Bjoern Giesler giesler at ira.uka.de
Thu Nov 15 20:08:49 EST 2001

Hi,

*phew* finally. I got my MA301 working under Linux with the orinoco_plx
driver. I use a Lucent/WaveLAN Silver card. The fix was indeed fiddling
with the PLX's Interrupt Enable register. Patch (to orinoco-0.08b, from
David Gibson's testing directory) attached; it's very small. I haven't
tried any encryption, and only Ad-Hoc mode; still, I watched a DivX movie
across the wireless link last night, which suggests it's quite stable.
One issue remains: On rmmod, some things obviously get corrupted in
kernel memory (try cat /proc/interrupts; produces garbage on my machine).
I'll look into that.

But I have a (perhaps PCI-related) question. The PLX's PCI base address
registers theoretically have the first one (resource 0) point to
memory-accessable memory and the second one (resource 1) point to
IO-accessable memory; apart from the access method, both should allow the
same local configuration access (see p8-1 of the PLX data book for
reference).

Now, the first one points to 0; accordingly, pci_resource_start(dev, 0)
returns 0x0. So that probably means that no memory access is possible to
the local config. So far, so good; if we're supposed to do inb/outb, we
can. But if I don't check for 0-ness of that address, and just pass it to
ioremap(), I get a valid adress back! (Which is, of course, bogus -- I
don't want to know whose driver space I fiddled with when that happened
to me.) Is this by design, or is it a bug in ioremap()?

Regards,
		--Björn
--
From the Computer Support Group's tech glossary: