Netgear MA301 works

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Nov 15 20:55:35 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:08:49AM +0100, Bjoern Giesler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> *phew* finally. I got my MA301 working under Linux with the orinoco_plx
> driver.

Cool!!!!

> I use a Lucent/WaveLAN Silver card. The fix was indeed fiddling
> with the PLX's Interrupt Enable register. Patch (to orinoco-0.08b, from
> David Gibson's testing directory) attached; it's very small.

May I request you send the patch as a unified diff (-u). This patch does not
contain enough context to reliably patch the source.

I'm also concerned about the i386 specificness of the patch but someone who
knows about this can fix that.

> But I have a (perhaps PCI-related) question. The PLX's PCI base address
> registers theoretically have the first one (resource 0) point to
> memory-accessable memory and the second one (resource 1) point to
> IO-accessable memory; apart from the access method, both should allow the
> same local configuration access (see p8-1 of the PLX data book for
> reference).

Ok...

> Now, the first one points to 0; accordingly, pci_resource_start(dev, 0)
> returns 0x0. So that probably means that no memory access is possible to
> the local config. So far, so good; if we're supposed to do inb/outb, we
> can. But if I don't check for 0-ness of that address, and just pass it to
> ioremap(), I get a valid adress back! (Which is, of course, bogus -- I
> don't want to know whose driver space I fiddled with when that happened
> to me.) Is this by design, or is it a bug in ioremap()?

The zero address is not necessarily bad. Although the i386 architecture does
define a use for I/O addresses beginning with zero, this is not a feature of
PCI.

Besides, ioremap fiddles the memory maps, it doesn't check whether what you
are trying to map actually exists. How would one check that anyway...

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/