Please help!!continuation to prev email (newbie)

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Dec 21 15:43:51 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 08:26:01PM -0800, Rakesh Arora wrote:
> Hi,
>        Now I think that I got most of it working
> (thanks to Roger). I do not have any module versioning
> errors and the hermes.o, orinoco.o and orinoco_cs.o
> get installed in the proper directory. Also I now hear
> two beeps instead of one. However, iwconfig eth1 gives
> me segmentation fault. The output is as follows:
> eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:""
> Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
>   Frequency:2.457GHz  Sensitivity:1/3  Mode:Managed
>   Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
>   Bit Rate:2Mb/s   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>   Encryption key:off
>   Power Management:off
>   Link quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise
> level:134/153
>   Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0
>
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

You have an old version of the wireless-tools.  The segv happens after
iwconfig has done its useful work, so it can be ignored.

> I have made changes to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts to
> include the network name. It is:
> module "orinoco_cs" opts "network name=1e8146"

Don't use module options for this, instead use "iwconfig eth1 essid
NAME" or you can set the ESSID in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.

> I tried 'iwconfig eth1 ap 00:02:2D:1E:81:46:' but it
> gave me an error. Do I need to make any changes to
> network.opts and wireless.opts? Please help.

The orinoco driver doesn't support the ap operation - we have no
information on how to program the card to associate with a given AP by
BSSID.  In most cases setting the ESSID is sufficient.