Wireless Access Points

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Fri Dec 14 09:59:30 EST 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 16:41, Tom Gallagher wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  The general consensus is to use a
> linux box for maximum flexibility and security.  I was probably a bit too
> general in my original post ... I would love to do that in the ideal world
> but being quite limited for space, these AP boxes from buffalo, apple etc
> were desirable for the fact I could put them on a shelf in my hall where the
> phone point is and have them run nice and quiet (not like a clunky old
> 486!!).  I guess what I really want is a PC104 style board running some
> embedded linux with a wireless card in it and make my own access point but I
> guess I am now moving off topic and into a more expensive world also....

Not sure exactly how constrained the space is, but there are a few
options.  One, http://www.dollar.computer has a few listings for very
low priced laptops (like $299 for a Thinkpad 560E) that with two pcmcia
NICs will give you a firewall/gateway and not take up a lot of space.
The other is a little gem of a PC
(http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/epsmalpc.html) that doesn't take up much
space and may work for you.

Jamin W. Collins