netgear cards?

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Wed Aug 15 09:16:21 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:52:38AM -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> Steven Hanley wrote :
> > However I am unable to find mention on this list or on
> > http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux of netgear. I am
> > wondering if anyone knows if this stuff works in linux? Is it something nice
> > like simply a rebadged Cisco Aironet card or Lucent Orinoco card?
>
> 	It's much more likely to be a PrismII clone. It look exactly
> like the SMC/Addtron card, and not at all like a Orinoco or Aironet
> (which are very distinctive).
> 	By the way, I don't know why people spend time looking for new
> 802.11 cards when there are some many cheap 802.11 cards already
> supported under Linux. Yes, I know that PrismII firmwares can be
> problematic, but I guess you get what you pay for ;-)

I don't know about the situation in the US, however here I always have a hell
of a time finding places that sell wireless equipment. I dont know of any
place you can wander into and buy a bunch of cisco or orinoco cards off the
shelf in this city (Canberra) or in Sydney. Right now the CS department at ANU
is looking to buy more wireless equipment as we finally have point to point
VPN stuff in place. I have sent an email or two out to suppliers of cisco and
lucent equipment here in Canberra (as found on the respective websites) asking
for pricing details. There definitely isnt a catalogue oonline with prices for
this stuff anywhere or similar available.

Also as mentioned Cougar are selling the netgear cards, this is a shop the
department gets on well with, we got all 96 nodes for the beowulf here from
them. (though of course we dont just buy from them automatically, if they have
what we want for the best price yada yada yada) In this case it was a, oh look
a supplier of wireless equipment in Canberra with prices of said equipment
listed publically.

        See You
            Steve

--