netgear cards?

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Aug 14 19:11:17 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 05:22:33PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> > Earlier on this list someone noticed netgear 802.11b netgear equipment being
> > sold at harveynorman for somewhat inflated prices. I notice Cougar now has
> > that same hardware available for a much better price.
> >
> > However I am unable to find mention on this list or on
> > http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux of netgear. I am
> > wondering if anyone knows if this stuff works in linux? Is it something nice
> > like simply a rebadged Cisco Aironet card or Lucent Orinoco card?
>
> No idea, but I'd like to hear if you find out.

well Bob wants to buy a few more wireless cards for the department. cougar are
generally friendly towards the department so it seems good if they are
supported. who knows we may find out.

> > Also, David, if you are reading this, have you done any work at getting the
> > DWL 650 to work? (just curious, if so I can upgrade to a recent 2.4 kernel
> > (like 2.4.8) otherwise I can take a look myself (I am guessing it just
> > initialises a little bit differently to the currently supoorted caards and
> > will work like a normal Prism II otherwise.)
>
> As far as I know there isn't anything special about the DWL-650
> compared to other Prism cards.  The troubles Anthony was having were
> due to the changes in v0.08 firmware which is now handled by a patch
> from William Waghorn.  Note that several things (including WEP) are
> not supported on any of the Prism II cards.

well I am using the card with the dwl 500 pci<->pcmcia adapter, it works in
linux, whenever I try your driver it doesnt detect the card at all. (simple
modprobe) the wvlan_cs from pcmcia-cs sort of works after a fashion. I have
not tried to get either driver to run in the last two months. I will try your
driver again tonight. If it doesnt work I will look at the wvlan_cs code and
see why it can detect the DWL cards and not yours.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh